Passing $upstream_response_time in a header

Jonathan Simowitz simowitz at
Tue Mar 7 21:38:04 UTC 2017

I have an nginx server that runs as reverse proxy and I would like to pass
the $upstream_response_time value in a header. I find that when I do the
value is actually a linux timestamp with millisecond resolution instead of
a value of seconds with millisecond resolution. Apparently this is
automatically converted when written to the logs. Is there a way to trigger
the conversion for passing in a header?

Thank you,

Jonathan Simowitz | Jigsaw |  Software Engineer |  simowitz at |