proxy_buffering off disable cache ?

Nelson Marcos nelsonmarcos at
Fri Mar 17 17:21:55 UTC 2017

Hello all,

Right now we're using Nginx(as a proxy) to serve videos(4gb) and small
objects(< 100k), using Openstack Swift as backend.

Yesterday, I tried turn proxy_buffering off to see if it would improve
nginx performance but it didn't.

However, I realised that nginx stoped to write new files on proxy_temp_path
and proxy_cache_path until  I turn proxy_buffering off.

I have two question:

1) Is that a expected behaviour? If I turn proxy_buffering off, nginx will
disable cache and temp files?

2) If  proxy_buffering is on,  shouldn't nginx recieve the entire response,
before send it to the cliente? Or does it wait only enough to fill the
configured buffers?