[Module] ngx_http_gzip issue : unknown directive "gzip"

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Nov 1 12:32:39 UTC 2017

Hello!

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 04:51:31PM +0300, Valentin V. Bartenev wrote:

> On Monday 30 October 2017 10:33:55 nik mur wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Recently I upgraded my nginx to 1.12 version from 1.10 branch.
> >
> > The build from source went through without any issues, but while starting
> > Nginx I am receiving this error:
> >
> > *>>[emerg] 342#342: unknown directive "gzip" in
> > /usr/local/apps/nginx/etc/conf.d/gzip.conf:2*
> >
> [..]
>
> You should check your full configuration.  It's unclear where this "gzip"
> directive is included.
>
> Please note, there's no such directive in mail and stream modules.

The message suggests that the directive is indeed unknown, not
just used in a wrong context.  When a directive is used in a wrong
context, the message would be "is not allowed here" instead.

In this particular case I would recommend to compile without any
3rd party modules, likely one of the 3rd party modules screwed up
building due to incorrect hacks used in config script.

http://mdounin.ru/