Set Expires Header only if upstream has not already set an Expires

Francis Daly francis at
Wed Nov 22 23:26:33 UTC 2017

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 10:41:49AM +0100, Thomas Glanzmann wrote:

Hi there,

> I would like to add an Expires Header only to upstream content that has
> not already set an Expires header. Is there an easy way to do that with
> nginx? has an example of setting a value based on

You can set a value based on $upstream_http_expires --

{ default off; "" 7d; }

in the appropriate "map" should set your Expires time to 7 days from now
if there is not an Expires: header from the upstream.

Francis Daly        francis at