Return 408 to ELB

reverson nginx-forum at
Thu Nov 30 19:02:27 UTC 2017

I am running into an issue, that I believe was documented here

Essentially, I am seeing alerts as our ELBs are sending 504s back to clients
with no backend information attached, but when I look through our nginx
request logs, I see that we "should have" sent them a 408. However, it
appears that nginx is just closing the connection.

We are using keep-alive connections, and I was looking at using the
reset_timedout_connection parameter, but based on the documentation it
doesn't seem like this will help.

Is there a way to actually send a 408 back to the client using nginx and