Directive inheritance

Lucas Rolff lucas at lucasrolff.com
Fri Oct 6 20:38:54 UTC 2017

Hi Francis,

Thank you a lot for your response - from a directive point of view - I
don't use a lot of different headers in that sense, it's really just
some settings that I would want to avoid repeating again and again - I
like clean configs - and generally speaking I really want to inherit as
much as possible from the initial server, or even http context when
possible - all I change usually can be things like the expires header,
the proxy_cache_valid directive, or adding an additional header (CORS
for example).

I do use some of the openresty modules such as the ngx_headers_more
module, and it's pretty explicit about it's inheritance.

And thank you for the pointer regarding the _module_ctx and
_merge_loc_conf functions, it gave me enough information regarding the
http_proxy module as an example - it seem as long as there a
"offsetof(ngx_http_proxy_loc_conf_t" - then it can be inherited, or it's
a coincidence that it's missing the "offsetoff" for all directives that
doesn't inherit in that module from top of my head.

Thanks again!