Request help on a "SSL_read() failed (SSL: error:14094438:)" error

user82 nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org
Wed Oct 18 19:03:42 UTC 2017

Hello all,

We are seeing this error in NGINX logs, when the response is being read back
from the upstream servers.

SSL_read() failed (SSL: error:14094438:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:tlsv1
alert internal error:SSL alert number 80) while reading response header from
upstream"

Could you please suggest us a possible cause of this error.

We have nginx setup to have only TLS 1.2 as we want only TLS1.2:

Proxy_ssl_protocols: TLSV1.2
Proxy_ssl_ciphers: HIGH:!aNULL:!MD5

This is happening only for random requests during a load test and other
requests with similar payload, or even the same type of request is going
through fine after some time.

Thanks.

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,276950,276950#msg-276950