Nginx Listen directive with reuseport; SO_REUSEPORT

Lucas Rolff lucas at lucasrolff.com
Mon Oct 23 19:56:51 UTC 2017

What’s high traffic? At a previous employer we used it across the infrastructure, and I’d say it’s fairly high traffic (100s of gigabit of traffic).

On 23/10/2017, 21.15, "nginx on behalf of c0nw0nk" <nginx-bounces at nginx.org on behalf of nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org> wrote:

    So on each server you can add to your listen directive.

    listen 8181 default bind reuseport;

    Cloudflare use it and posted in on their blog and github here (benchmark
    stats included)

    GitHub :
    https://github.com/cloudflare/cloudflare-blog/tree/master/2017-10-accept-balancing
    Cloudflare Blog :
    https://blog.cloudflare.com/the-sad-state-of-linux-socket-balancing/

    I question if it is ideal in a production high traffic enviorment if using
    "reuseport" will be beneficial or it is best to just leave it out as it is
    by default anyway.

    Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,277041,277041#msg-277041