Zero/random file module

Grzegorz Kulewski gk at leniwiec.biz
Mon Sep 11 14:47:34 UTC 2017

Hello,

In my company we often want to monitor transfer speeds. To do that we upload 1M-10G zero/random file to a web server and then we set up some monitoring to time the download. Or we do the download by hand during troubleshooting sessions.

The downside of this is that we need to upload and keep those files on disk and sometimes disk is a very limited resource.

That's why I am wondering if somebody could develop (and include in mainline) a new nginx module that after configuration similar to this:

location = /100mb.test {
	big_file 100M zero;
}

or:

location = /1m.random {
	big_file 1M random;
}

would serve such file in chosen location. Of course the quality of random data does not need to be high - we only need something that compresses poorly - so any simple and fast userspace generator should be enough.

Thank you in advance.

--
Grzegorz Kulewski