More than 65K connections of a proxy on FreeBSD

Reinis Rozitis r at roze.lv
Wed Apr 11 10:13:19 UTC 2018

> Unfortunately, the article says nothing about 65K+ connections _per_single_
> local address.
> Using of IP_BIND_ADDRESS_NO_PORT for Linux was mentioned in the comment
> and there's nothing about FreeBSD.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in case of IP_BIND_ADDRESS_NO_PORT doesn't the unique 4-tuple (sourceip+sourceport+destip+destport) limit still remain?

As you only defer/delegate to kernel to assign the ephemeral port in connect() rather than at the bind() time (when the destination is not yet known) so in case of a single source ip and single backend/port the ~65k limit still exists.

rr