HTTPS over port 443

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue Aug 7 22:26:25 UTC 2018

On Tue, Aug 07, 2018 at 03:22:45PM -0400, fugee ohu wrote:

Hi there,

> I'm trying to enable site wide ssl over port 443 on a site that runs
> on http port 80
> In nginx.conf i have `listen 443 ssl;` for the server but requests for
> the server get routed to the first available host on port 80, another
> of my sites also in the nginx.conf How can I diagnose this to see
> what's going on?

curl -v https://www.sitename.com

The response will be interesting.

My guess is that your rails/passenger settings (outside of nginx) are
causing a http redirect to something like http://www.sitename.com; and
because you have disabled the http server for that name, it is handled
by the default server on that ip:port.

If that is the case -- check your rails/passenger setting to see if they
refer to http anywhere, and make them not.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org