gzip_types

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Aug 23 18:00:21 UTC 2018

Hello!

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 11:21:02AM +0000, Friscia, Michael wrote:

> What would be the reason that setting
> Gzip_types *;
> Is bad?

Usually there are responses which are not compressible, so trying
to gzip them is just a waste of resources.  Also there can be
cases when the client announces gzip support, but in fact have
problems when some types of responses are compressed - for
example, there were problems with compressed javascripts in some
browsers in the past.

If you are sure that in a particular configuration all possible
may want to limit it to a particular location or server though.

> I’m running into a compression problem and if I set it to *
> everything gzips just fine but if I list them out explicitly the
> type image/jpeg is not being gzip’d via proxy request but all
> others are gzip’d by proxy. Gzip_proxied is set to any.

As long as Content-Type of the response is "image/jpeg", there
should be not difference between "gzip_types *" and "gzip_types
image/jpeg ...".  If you see a difference, please provide more
details - full configuration and a debug log would be ideal.

http://mdounin.ru/