Transfering a fd to a process to get better performance than with mod_proxy

Ottavio Campana ottavio at campana.vi.it
Wed Dec 12 09:48:25 UTC 2018

Hello,

I have the current scenario: nginx proxies a process that runs internally
and is bound to the loopback interface. Everything works, but I am facing
performance issues, because the processor is old and slow.

I would like to skip the proxy and the read/write operations performed by
mod_proxy and to pass the file descriptor associated to the socket to the
internal process, in order to unload the mod_proxy.

Is there already a mechanism in nginx to do this? If not, shall I develop a
custom module with a dedicated handler or do you think that there is a
smarter way to do it?

Thank you,

Ottavio