[IE] localhost works but server_name times out!

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Thu Feb 8 08:46:00 UTC 2018

On Wed, Feb 07, 2018 at 09:56:15PM -0500, Credo wrote:

Hi there,

> If by dns record, you mean uwsgi_pass, then yea, I'm sure. Otherwise
> localhost wouldn't work either, but it does.

Your client (browser) should resolve the name "www.example.com" to an
IP address that corresponds to the nginx server; and all network control
devices (remote firewalls, local iptables or the like) should allow the
traffic get from your client to the nginx IP:port.

All of that has to happen before nginx gets involved.

Since you can access http://localhost/, but not http://www.example.com/,
the first thing to check is whether your client tries to talk to your
nginx when it asks for http://www.example.com/.

If it doesn't, you must fix things outside of nginx so that it does.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org