status/usage of FRiCKLE/ngx_cache_purge. still reliable? alternatives?

Robert Paprocki rpaprocki at fearnothingproductions.net
Wed Jun 6 23:42:03 UTC 2018

Hi,

> On Jun 6, 2018, at 16:18, PGNet Dev <pgnet.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 6/6/18 4:09 PM, Robert Paprocki wrote:
>> Nginx has no stable API/ABI. With every release you want to leverage you need to walk through your entire test/canary/B-G/whatever cycle. That's a question only you can answer, but asking about "what about X release" is fruitless because of a complete lack of ABI support. In six month's it's an obsolete question, whose only two answers are "be the developer and watching the changelog" or "compile the module, test it, and pray to the diety of your choice that it doesn't explode".
>
> That's an excellent point.  Esp since I tend to keep production current with Nginx releases.
>
> TBH, tho, I've said such a prayer-or-three re: Varnish!

Certainly ;) I'm unfamiliar with Varnish's lifecycle. Just pointing out what should be noted (frankly, with the last few years of releases, unless there's a specific feature or bug you need to overcome, upgrading nginx to "latest" doesn't offer much value. I would love to be proved wrong here though ;) ).

>> Stepping back, these articles compare Nginx vs. Varnish straight-up. There is considerable difference to take into account in examining a stack leverage both.
>
> Much agreed. Apparently my reference to 'TheGoogle' refs wasn't snarky or dismissive enough! ;-)
>
>> If I were you I would strongly question this "prefer to have" if the only question is manageable cache purging. :)
>
> Been done.  Not convincingly enough, apparently.
> You can lead a horse ...
> It's a Nordstrom's(-of-long-ago) moment: "Customer's Right. Because they say so."
>
> Thx agn!

I got you :) good luck with it! You have our sympathies ;)