ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT when trying to reuse SSL session

Maxim Dounin mdounin at
Sun Mar 11 23:57:03 UTC 2018

On Thu, Mar 08, 2018 at 12:16:50PM +0100, Abilio Marques wrote:

> Using NGINX 1.12.2 on MIPS (haven't tested on x86), if I set:
> ssl_session_cache shared:SSL:1m; # it also fails with 10m
> And the client reestablishes the connection, it
> gets: net::ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT when trying to reuse SSL session.
> Has anyone seen anything like this?
> More detail:
> This was tested on 1.12.2, on a MIPS CPU, using OpenSSL 1.0.2j, and built
> by gcc 4.8.3 (OpenWrt/Linaro GCC 4.8-2014.04 r47070).

This certainly works on x86, so it must be something
MIPS-specific or something specific to your particular build.

Last time I saw OpenWrt/Linaro nginx builds, they were compiled
using buggy 3rd party crossbuild patches, and didn't work due to
this (see  You may want
to check your build before trying to do anything else.

Maxim Dounin