Debugging Nginx Cache Misses: Hitting high number of MISS despite high proxy valid

Quintin Par quintinpar at gmail.com
Sat May 12 17:32:13 UTC 2018

That’s the tricky part. These MISSes are intermittent. Whenever I run curl
I get HITs but I end up seeing a lot of MISS in the logs.

How do I log these MiSSes with the reason? I want to know what headers
ended up bypassing the cache.

Here’s my caching config

            proxy_pass http://127.0.0.1:8000;

                proxy_set_header X-Real-IP  $remote_addr;

                proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto https;

                proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Port 443;

                # If logged in, don't cache.

                if ($http_cookie ~*
"comment_author_|wordpress_(?!test_cookie)|wp-postpass_" ) {

                  set $do_not_cache 1;

                }

                proxy_cache_key "$scheme://$host$request_uri$do_not_cache";

                proxy_cache staticfilecache;

                add_header Cache-Control public;

                proxy_cache_valid       200 120d;

                proxy_hide_header "Set-Cookie";

                proxy_ignore_headers  "Set-Cookie";

                proxy_ignore_headers  "Cache-Control";

                proxy_hide_header "Cache-Control";

                proxy_pass_header X-Accel-Expires;

                proxy_set_header Accept-Encoding "";

                proxy_ignore_headers Expires;

                add_header X-Cache-Status $upstream_cache_status;

                proxy_cache_use_stale   timeout;

                proxy_cache_bypass $arg_nocache $do_not_cache;
- Quintin