Nginx Rate limiting for HTTPS requests

Peter Booth peter_booth at me.com
Sun May 20 18:45:58 UTC 2018

Rate limiting is a useful but crude tool that should only be one if four or five different things you do to protect your backend:

1 browser caching
2 cDN
3 rate limiting
4 nginx caching reverse proxy

What are your requests? Are they static content or proxied to a back end?
Do users login?
Is it valid for dynamic content built for one user to be returned to another?

Sent from my iPhone