Enable http2 and ssl by default

Jim Popovitch jim at k4vqc.com
Thu Nov 15 14:03:10 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-11-15 at 08:36 -0500, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> > (see, this is why posting via forums is like cancer. Hint: the forum
> > rarely sends the context, also not to forget the quoted first line
> > in the thread opener)
>
> A proper forum would do that..

A proper forum poster would too. ;-)

> > To address your concerns about nginx configuration, simply put it's
> > not worth the developers time to reduce configuration to such a
> > level of
>
> Are you a nginx developer?

No.

> > ease and thereby possibly breaking the configuration of some beast
> > who wants to run ssl+spdy on port 80.
>
> That configuration would have a listen line, so the default wouldn't
> apply and updating the default wouldn't break it.

So a specific use case.  What about port 443 (you haven't mentioned it
yet), except what if it's on a non-routable subnet perhaps 8443 should
be preferred then?  Should nginx also look for certs in /etc/ssl/ that
have file names that align with server_name?  What about multi-homed
servers, should the listen directive default to the IP address(es) that
map to server_name?  I could come up with a 100 "ease of use" cases, but
they're still not worthy of hard coding into nginx.  Every new line of
code has the potential to introduce new bugs.

-Jim P.