Proxy_pass url with a #

Brian Whalen brian at brianwhalen.net
Sun Oct 7 13:54:54 UTC 2018

In summary I am trying to reverse proxy a group of windows web servers,
where there is a # in the url. I have it mostly working except this. I
used the nginx ldap auth modules, including their sample backend app. In
that app, when auth succeeds a page is presented with a hello world you
were successful message; what I want to do is actually load one of those
windows webservers. I've been trying to use the python requests module
via a typical import, but have not gotten this quite right. If I use #
then it is treated as a comment skipping the rest of the url, and if I
use %23 I get a 404 in a tcpdump. I dont think the hash is the whole
problem though, since if I try to load some other page after the
successful auth it also fails.

I know also that If I just do a straight proxy_pass to the url without
the ldap auth and then type in nginxserver/path#/with/pound that works.

Brian