Draining keepalive connections during reload

Kamil Gorlo kgorlo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 08:55:30 UTC 2018

Hi,

according to https://trac.nginx.org/nginx/ticket/1022#comment:1 and in this
mailing list archives, when there is configuration reload, keep-alive
connections are closed.

Is there a way to "drain" them? What I would like to have is to provide
some hard limit in configuration (in seconds) to let the client close the
connection on their side, if that doesn't happen in given timeout ONLY THEN
connections are closed.

This of course will make reload procedure longer, but in our case it would
be really useful and prevent us from reconnect storm during upgrades on our
edge infrastructure.

OR maybe somebody already have some patch to do that (I saw some attempts
in the archives)?

Cheers,
Kamil