Nginx didn't try the next available backend server

Jeffrey 'jf' Lim jfs.world at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 08:13:30 UTC 2019

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 2:21 PM allenhe <nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My Nginx is configured with:
> proxy_next_upstream error timeout http_429 http_503;
>
> But I find it won't try the next available upstream server with the
> following error returned:
>
> 2019/04/05 20:11:41 [error] 85#85: *4903418 recv() failed (104: Connection
> reset by peer) while reading response header from upstream....

Do you also see any "upstream server temporarily disabled while reading
response header from upstream" messages above this message for the other
upstreams?

The "error" part for the proxy_next_upstream states:
> error
> an error occurred while establishing a connection with the server, passing
> request to it, or reading the response header;
>
> I understand the error above would fall into the "or reading the response
> header;", but why it didn't work?

Theoretically this should work, but of course, this will only work if there
are other upstreams to try.

-jf

--
He who settles on the idea of the intelligent man as a static entity only
shows himself to be a fool.