Mailman is giving me 554 5.7.1 because of using Mail-Relay

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Mon Apr 29 12:52:53 UTC 2019

Hello!

On Sat, Apr 27, 2019 at 06:03:44PM -0400, OiledAmoeba wrote:

> I have to use a Mail-Relay because of the fact that my Mailserver ist behind
> a dynamic-IP-address. I registered myself to this mailinglist by mail.
> But every mail I'm writing to nginx at nginx.org is bounced with 554 5.7.1
> because of the fact that relaying is changing the envelope-from header.
> I think the mailinglist-settings are too restrictive.
> Admin: Any chance to change that?

I'm not an admin, but the answer is "highly unlikely".  To post to
the mailing list, you have to be subscribed - because open mailing
lists are subject to lots of spam messages.  And the only working
way to enforce this is to check envelope from addresses at SMTP
level.  In the past, we've tried to use qrantine with manual
review of messages from non-subscribed addresses instead, but this
simply does not work.

Consider using switching to a mail relay which does not try to
change your envelope from address.

http://mdounin.ru/