NGINX only for forwarding to LAN

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Fri Dec 13 13:22:35 UTC 2019

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 01:12:52PM -0500, pixel24 wrote:

Hi there,

>     server {
>         server_name gw.mydomain.com;
>         location / {
>                 proxy_pass http://192.168.24.109;
>         }
>     }

> I can connect from the outside to the web server :-) What surprises me
> however is that in the address line of Firefox my external WAN-IP of the
> firewall is located afterwards. Is this normal an ok?

That indicates that something it wrong somewhere.

It will "work" fine when you are reverse-proxying for just one server
name; but things will break when you try to add the "cloud" name as well.

So you should find which part of your config (nginx, or the internal
"gw" server) is writing that WAN IP address, and make it stop.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org