question about not found

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Feb 28 13:53:08 UTC 2019

Hello!

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 03:30:22PM +0200, Christos Chatzaras wrote:

> > On 28 Feb 2019, at 15:06, Christos Chatzaras <chris at cretaforce.gr> wrote:
> >
> >> On 28 Feb 2019, at 14:47, Christos Chatzaras <chris at cretaforce.gr> wrote:
> >>
> >> If I try to visit an image that doesn't exist I get:
> >>
> >> "404 Not Found"
> >>
> >> If I add a location / { } then I get:
> >>
> >> "File not found"
> >>
> >> In both cases using curl -I http://www.example.com/image.png I get:
> >>
> >> HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
> >> Server: nginx
> >> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 12:46:56 GMT
> >> Connection: keep-alive
> >>
> >> Any idea why it shows different message?
> >
> > The "File not found" message is displayed with Safari. With Curl and Firefox it shows "404 Not Found".
> >
> > Does Safari overrides the original message?
>
> Finally I think it's related to nginx cache.

The only message generated by nginx itself is "404 Not Found".  If
you see different messages, they are generated elsewhere.
Depending on your exact configuration, this may be, for example,
your backend server, the "error_page" you've configured, or your
client.

Note well that there is a difference between what browser shows
and what "curl -I" shows.  While "curl -I" shows response headers,
browsers show the response body (or a "friendly" error page from
the browser itself in some cases).  To get something comparable
with what browsers show you have to use "curl" without "-I".

Also note that browsers cache responses by default, and testing
configuration changes with browsers might be tricky.

http://mdounin.ru/