Multiple master processes per reloading

allenhe nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org
Mon Jul 8 06:24:53 UTC 2019

Patrick Wrote:
> On 2019-07-07 22:39, allenhe wrote:
> > Per my understanding, the reloading would only replace the old
> workers with
> > new ones, while during testing (constantly reloading), I found the
> output of
> > "ps -ef" shows multiple masters and shutting down workers which
> would fade
> > away very quickly, so I guess the master process may undergo the
> same
> > replacement.
> > Could some experts help confirm this?
>
> It depends on what exactly is done to "reload" nginx? Different
> operating systems will do different things.

The "reload" script just contains one command line:
/usr/bin/nginx -s reload
And this happens on Ubuntu Linux x86_64
Curious that in the official doc It does not mention that the "-s reload"
would impact the master

> In production, you should probably be using some form of commit /
> rollback, e.g. something like nginx-graceful[0] which automates the
> recommended zero-downtime restart[1].

It is about "restart" while I'm concerned with reloading to apply
configuration changes.