Resident memory not released

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Mon Jul 29 19:10:13 UTC 2019

Hello!

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 02:52:47PM -0400, aledbf wrote:

> > on your system allocator and its settings.
>
> Do you have a suggestion to enable this behavior (release of memory) using a
> particular allocator or setting?
> Thanks!

On FreeBSD and/or on any system with jemalloc(), I would expect
memory to be returned to the OS more or less effectively.

On Linux with standard glibc allocator, consider tuning
MALLOC_MMAP_THRESHOLD_ and MALLOC_TRIM_THRESHOLD_ environment
variables, as documented here:

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/mallopt.3.html

Note that you may need to use the "env" directive to
make sure these are passed to nginx worker processes as well.

http://mdounin.ru/