Ignoring proxy_cache_background_update on;

Ian Stephens ian.stephens.ufo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 12:24:38 UTC 2019

We are running NGINX in front of our backend server.

We are attempting to enable the proxy_cache_background_update feature to
allow NGINX to async updates to the cache and serve STALE content while it
does this.

However, we are noticing that it still delivers STALE content slowly as if
it's not serving from the cache. The time it takes after an item expires is
very slow and clearly not served from cache - you can tell it's going to
the backend server, getting an update and delivering it to the client.

Here is our configuration from NGINX:

proxy_cache_revalidate on;

proxy_ignore_headers Expires;

proxy_cache_background_update   on;

Our backend server is delivering the following headers:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK