More than one host

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Mon May 6 15:57:09 UTC 2019

On Sun, May 05, 2019 at 03:28:11PM -0500, Julian Brown wrote:

Hi there,

> The second domain is for a bugzilla host, bugzilla.conf:
>
> server {

>     location / {
>         proxy_set_header X-Real-IP  $remote_addr;
>         proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $remote_addr;
>         proxy_set_header Host bugzilla.example.com;
>         proxy_pass https://INTERNAL_IP <https://internal_ip/>/;
>     }
> }
>
> It does send the request to the correct machine, but I do not know if it is
> sending the correct hostname or not.

It should be sending the correct Host: header within the http request, but
it may not be sending that same hostname in the TLS SNI communications.

If your INTERNAL_IP web server expects SNI, things may go wrong there.

Have a look at http://nginx.org/r/proxy_ssl_server_name, and maybe turn
it on.

> Is proxy_set_header Host, the proper way to send it as "bugzilla.example.com"
> so that Apache sees it coming on that server name to activate the correct
> vhost?

Yes, unless you share https certs on the same IP:port; in which case
you need the extra config.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org