Odd behavior

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Wed Oct 9 08:27:25 UTC 2019

On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 01:52:11AM -0400, Ken Wright wrote:

Hi there,

> When I enter my domain name in Firefox, I get a 404 status.

Do your nginx logs show this request getting to nginx?

If not, there is something outside of nginx that needs changing first.

Perhaps if you test using "curl", that will eliminate any possibility of
browser-side caching interfering in your tests.

> If I enter
> <domain>.com/index.nginx-debian.html I get the regular nginx welcome
> screen.  Just for fun I copied index.nginx-debian.html to index.html,
> and <domain>.com/index.html gets an "Opening index.php" window.  This
> one in particular has me stumped, because index.html and
> index.nginx-debian.html are identical, but the show different behavior.

If your configuration includes something like

  location = /index.html { return 200 "Opening index.php\n"; }

that might explain that difference.

Your configuration probably does not include that location{} block;
but only you know for sure.

On your test system where you can replicate this unwanted behaviour:
how many lines from the config can you remove, and still see the issue?

If you can show a (small) config that someone else can use to see the
issue, perhaps it will be clear what needs to be changed.

Cheers,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org