unknown directive "geoip_country" for openresty/nginx 1.9.7.4

skwok nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org
Tue Oct 29 17:57:43 UTC 2019

Hi,

I've run into an issue which is very similar to
https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,266453,266453#msg-266453, but with a
different version such that the solution for that (directive `load_module`)
is not available yet.

I am building a docker container of nginx with modsecurity and geoip on
Ubuntu Xenial, and I'm stuck with the geoip part as I can't find the
instructions for version 1.9.7.4, which doesn't support dynamic module. Can
someone please help?

I've tried a few things as in the following:

1. Add `--with-http_geoip_module` as an option for configure

2. `apt-get install ngx_http_geoip_module`, and it returns
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package ngx_http_geoip_module

3. Declaring 'load_module "modules/ngx_http_geoip_module.so";' and that is
not allowed as the load_module directive is not available in that version

4. Declaring geoip_country /usr/share/GeoIP/GeoIP.dat; results in `nginx:
[emerg] unknown directive "geoip_country" ...'

Thank you.

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,286043,286043#msg-286043