No subject

wirelessduck at gmail.com wirelessduck at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 04:18:20 UTC 2019

Hi,

I would like to know whether nginx supports mirroring of a gRPC proxy?
 I've got a backend server with two endpoints running and setup nginx
with the following config:

server {
    listen 50051 http2 ssl;

    ssl_certificate      /etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem;
    ssl_certificate_key  /etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key;
    ssl_session_cache    shared:SSL:10m;
    ssl_session_timeout  5m;
    ssl_ciphers          HIGH:!aNULL:!MD5;
    ssl_protocols        TLSv1.2 TLSv1.3;

    location / {
        mirror /mirror;
        mirror_request_body off;
        grpc_pass grpcs://grpc-server.example.com:50051;
    }

    location /mirror {
        internal;
        grpc_pass grpcs://grpc-server.example.com:50052;

Sending a request to the nginx proxy only results in the request going
through to the endpoint on 50051, and nothing appears on the 50052
endpoint.  If I remove "mirror_request_body" config, then the request
results in a timeout and nothing appears on either endpoint.

Is this supported, or does nginx not yet support mirroring of gRPC?

Thanks
--Tom