Empty error and access log

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Thu Sep 26 14:59:54 UTC 2019

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 07:25:45AM -0400, krishna wrote:

Hi there,

> logrotate has been used to archive the nginx log files on daily basis from
> the machine and below is the configuration.

>  postrotate
>  /usr/bin/kill -USR1 `cat /var/pid/nginx.pid 2>/dev/null` 2>/dev/null ||
> true #PID file for nginx
>  endscript

That looks like it should work; although the "2>/dev/null" parts will
possibly throw away any useful status message.

http://nginx.org/en/docs/control.html describes what should happen,
on the nginx side.

When I test here, I don't see anything obvious in the error_log that
indicates that USR1 was received.

So from here, it looks to me that if you can describe a repeatable recipe
that causes this unwanted behaviour to happen, then there may be something
within nginx that needs fixing.

(If I do a straightforward

mv logs/access.log logs/access.log.$(date +%s)

then my next request is written to the moved file; and after

kill -USR1 `cat logs/nginx.pid`

then the next request is written to the new access.log.

So a "simple" test here does not fail.)

Cheers,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org