NGINX PHP FPM - Download prompt when accessing directories

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Mon Aug 31 08:01:03 UTC 2020

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 11:15:03PM +0000, Laura Smith wrote:

Hi there,

> > > location ^~ /administrator/ {
> >
> > will handle all requests that start with /administrator/; that location
> > does not do any special handling of php requests; all it will do is
> > serve files from the filesystem.

> But then is that not the case for my 'location / {' as well ?  That section also does not do any special handling of php requests and yet the php works ?

You have:

==
  location ^~ /administrator/ {

  location / {

  location ~ [^/]\.php(/|$) {
    fastcgi_pass
==

It is the case that any request that is handled in the second location
will be served from the filesystem.

But it is not the case that any request that starts with / will be
handled in the second location.

The various characters after the word "location" change how you have
asked nginx to handle different requests.

http://nginx.org/r/location has more details.

Cheers,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org