Cannot get RTMP to work

brianbotkiller nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org
Fri Dec 25 07:20:33 UTC 2020

Hello,

I have followed the tutorial found here:
https://www.nginx.com/blog/video-streaming-for-remote-learning-with-nginx/#installing-nginx-dependencies

To the best of my ability (it has some distinct holes in it), and some other
tutorials that I have found. I cannot get RTMP to work with nginx.

I am running a VPS with Ubuntu. I have installed the RTMP module.

I have worked to edit the nginx.conf file as best as I can, but I don't
understand why this file seems to reside in multiple locations, and I don't
understand which of them I am to edit to add the RTMP configuration -- this
is totally missing from the tutorial and I cannot find a straight answer
about this.

As it stands right now, I've added

rtmp {
        server {
                listen 1935;
                chunk_size 4096;

                application live {
                        live on;
                        record off;

to the end of the config file found in /usr/local/nginx/conf, and I've ran
nginx -t to ensure that it is configured properly -- nginx spits back that
it is. I have stopped/started the service. I've run a port scan to ensure
that it is listening on port 80 -- it is.

I am trying to stream using OBS via RTMP. I set OBS to use my server IP/live
and no matter what, I get an error from OBS that it cannot connect to
server.

I am lost as to what to do here and am looking for help.

Thanks,

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,290317,290317#msg-290317