SPAM: Nginx 1.19.6 snippets directory (Ubuntu Server 20.04)

Thomas Ward teward at thomas-ward.net
Thu Dec 31 16:50:50 UTC 2020

Hi, Grzegorz.  I'm with the Ubuntu Server Team and can answer this directly.

The NGINX upstream repository does NOT follow the structure of the
package as it is in Ubuntu and Debian.  The snippets directory and
sites-available and sites-enabled directories and includes as part of
the default configuration are Ubuntu-isms and Debian-isms.  These are
only present in Debian/Ubuntu variants (and possibly other
distropackages of NGINX) and are NOT from nginx.org's repositories.

The snippets/ directory in Ubuntu and Debian I believe is prepopulated
with the snakeoil.conf which is only for the ssl-cert package generated
self-signed SSL certificate configuration to be included.  It is,
however, simply a directory that holds files, and you simply include
configurations with `include snippets/blah;` (to include the file 'blah'
which is in 'snippets'.

You can create that directory yourself and then just include individual
snippets from there.  In Ubuntu/Debian it is not automatically included
*anywhere* in the package shipped configuration, it's used to hold handy
snippets you might want to include in many places.

Thomas