Documentation for alias directive

Reinis Rozitis r at roze.lv
Thu Jan 30 08:05:28 UTC 2020

> I struggled with using the alias directive because I (incorrectly) assumed that it was relative to root since all other parts of my nginx configs are. This is not mentioned in the documentation, it'd be nice to see it there.

Well it's not directly worded but you can (should) see from the example here http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_core_module.html#alias that it doesn't use the root (even with a notice that you can't use the $document_root variables):

location /i/ {
    alias /data/w3/images/;
}
on request of “/i/top.gif”, the file /data/w3/images/top.gif will be sent.

rr