Some Questions about NGINX and F5

Owen Garrett o.garrett at f5.com
Tue Nov 17 10:48:07 UTC 2020

Hi Lee,

I can add some suggestions to help you find out more.  We do try to keep the nginx mailing list for technical questions and announcements relating to NGINX open source; do DM me for further information.

    > 1) How does NGINX fit with F5 legacy solutions? For example, and I may be
    > wrong certain functions in BIG-IP seem to overlap some of the functions of
    > NGINX? Is it that BIG-IP is “more heavy duty?”

There is overlap, and it's not correct to think of BIG-IP as more heavy-duty.  NGINX can be equally or more capable.

Different teams (IT and Apps) have different expectations for the products they use.  BIG-IP and NGINX are complementary, and we often see both running together.  Paradoxically, sometimes duplication leads to better efficiency: https://www.nginx.com/blog/deploying-application-services-in-kubernetes-part-1/

    2) What happened with Heylu? I am not even sure what “Heylu” was supposed to
    > be. Any clarity on this?

Take a look at NGINX Controller: https://www.nginx.com/products/nginx-controller

    3) I do not understand so well how NGINX and Docker work together – are they
    > complementary?

Docker is a way to package and share applications in containers.  NGINX is very commonly used as part of these lightweight, portable applications.

NGINX Ingress Controller https://github.com/nginxinc/kubernetes-ingress and NGINX Service Mesh https://github.com/nginxinc/nginx-service-mesh are NGINX-based solutions for docker containers running on Kubernetes and related platforms.

Owen