Conditional Proxy Caching in Location

Igal Sapir igal at lucee.org
Thu Sep 17 17:33:31 UTC 2020

Thank you, Francis.  That sounds like a good plan.

Pardon the new thread but I was subscribed in Digest Mode and couldn't
reply directly.

Igal

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 03:42:28PM -0700, Igal Sapir wrote:

Hi there,

>* I have a variable that shows if a certain cookie exists in the Request,
*>* e.g. $req_has_somecookie, and I want to be able to use proxy_cache only for
*>* specific URIs, e.g. /slow-page/ if the variable is 0.
*> >* I know that "if" is evil as it creates a new location scope.
*> >* What's the best way to handle this?
*
Probably some combination of http://nginx.org/r/proxy_cache_bypass
andhttp://nginx.org/r/proxy_no_cache

You may want to change your variable-setting logic; or use a map
(http://nginx.org/r/map) to make a new $skip_the_cache variable that is
0-or-empty when your $req_has_somecookie is not 0, and has a different
value when $req_has_somecookie is 0, so that you can (e.g.)

  proxy_no_cache $skip_the_cache;

in the appropriate location{}s.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org