Nginx Ingress Controller with Prometheus Metrics Issue

Owen Garrett o.garrett at f5.com
Fri Jan 29 14:52:18 UTC 2021

Hi Bill,

The workqueue_ metrics relate to the processing of configuration updates.  Config updates can be triggered by an update to an Ingress Resource, Endpoints in a monitored Service, and other events.  The purpose of these metrics is to observe the backlog to determine how quickly IC can respond to changes.  They probably do not provide the data you want (“I basically am interested in analyzing the time spent for a request in the ingress controller”)?

When you use the Ingress Controller with NGINX open source or NGINX Plus, you can get this data from the log files: see https://github.com/nginxinc/kubernetes-ingress/tree/v1.10.0/examples/custom-log-format and the NGINX variable $request_time http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_log_module.html#var_request_time  When you use it with NGINX Plus, you additionally get aggregate request time data in the Prometheus data

Feel free to raise additional questions about Ingress Controller on the github page: https://github.com/nginxinc/kubernetes-ingress/issues

Owen