QUIC and HTTP/3 roadmap blog post

Mathew Heard me at mheard.com
Tue Jul 13 13:37:49 UTC 2021

Hi Vladimir,

Within the main users of HTTP/3 we are seeing an uptick in users doing
long lived connections and users using previously niche features (such
as server push) leading to an expectation of near indefinite session
life (and websocket isnt yet available for http/3).

Basically applications built to take full advantage of QUIC tend
towards using larger, longer sessions as opposed to the traditional
HTTP request & response. There are many drivers for this (modern app
development libraries, PWA trend as well as more HTTP/3 related such
as increase session establishment time). I'm no researcher in that
area (just someone who sees the trend in his work) so I'll leave that
there for now.

I'm well aware of the rationale and the difficulties to implement such
a thing in the current nginx architecture. I wouldn't say it's
impossible, but difficult - yes certainly. I can think of a couple
ways it could be architected especially now you have that ebpf packet
router.

Regards,
Mathew