worker_connections exceed open file resource limit

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Mar 9 01:39:10 UTC 2021

Hello!

On Sun, Mar 07, 2021 at 06:47:20PM -0500, bee.lists wrote:

> Big Sur has a warning that 1024 exceeds open file resource limit of 256.
>
> Is this normal, considering I’ve set my worker_connections to 1024 in nginx.conf?
>
> Also, is this a package manager designation?

For production use, you should either set worker_connections below
the limit, or raise the limit.  Without this, nginx might end up
in a situation when it cannot accept new connections due to
maxfiles limit being reached by the process, and cannot do
anything with this.  And hence nginx prints the warning that your
system is misconfigured.

Also, 1024 is somewhat low for any serious production use, so you
probably want to raise the limit.  In simple cases just "ulimit
-n" should be enough (or you can use worker_rlimit_nofile as an
easier alternative, http://nginx.org/r/worker_rlimit_nofile).  In
more complex cases you might need to adjust kernel limits, such as
kern.maxfiles and kern.maxfilesperproc.  Some macOS-specific
instructions can be found, for example, at
https://wilsonmar.github.io/maximum-limits/ (just the first link
from Google "macos maxfiles", looks reasonable).

On the other hand, given macOS, this is highly unlikely going to
be a production use, so you can safely ignore the warning.

http://mdounin.ru/