Rate Limit not applied when mapping $upstream_http_ headers

Markus Grobelin grobi at koppzu.de
Fri Oct 1 08:47:01 UTC 2021

Hy everybody,

I have a reverse-proxy setup with an upstream application that sets a header (x_tenant_id).

Based on that headers value, I want to apply a rate limit to clients.

I verified the rate limit applies* properly, when a usual request header (e.g. $http_x_tenant_id) is mapped. However the config below does not map $upstream_http_x_tenant_id** at all.

Any advice how to achieve rate limiting using such $upstream_http_ headers?

Thanks in advance,
Markus

* siege -c 10 -t5S -H 'x-tenant-id: 503' <someurl>

**
upstream myupstream {
server 10.10.100.0:8000;
}

# does not work
map $upstream_http_x_tenant_id $limit_key {
123 $binary_remote_addr;
503 $binary_remote_addr;
default "";
}