Migrating from PHP-FPM to Nginx Unit: worth it?

Sergey A. Osokin osa at freebsd.org.ru
Tue Jun 14 02:04:19 UTC 2022

Hi,

hope you're doing well.

On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 12:20:12PM -0400, petecooper wrote:
> I run a fleet of small- to medium-scale web apps on PHP, and I'm comfortable
> compiling Nginx + PHP to to optimise for my needs. Until now, I've used
> PHP-FPM exclusively. I have read about performance improvements with Nginx
> Unit as far as PHP is concerned. This interests me, and I have time
> available to learn.
>
> My question - for anyone who's gone from PHP-FPM to Unit…was it worth it?
> What advice would you give?

You can definitely try use NGINX Unit, that can help in many cases.
One of the main benefits you may see is to use several different versions
of PHP (in case that's supported by your favorite UNIX/Linux distribution),
so you can easily switch from a previous version to a new one.

For NGINX Unit specific cases I'd recommend to subscribe and use unit at
nginx dot org mailing list.

Thank you.

--
Sergey A. Osokin