Nginx serving wrong site

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Mon Jan 8 13:20:22 UTC 2024

On Mon, Jan 08, 2024 at 08:11:21AM -0500, James Read wrote:

Hi there,

> My nginx server is serving the wrong site. I found this explanation online
> https://www.computerworld.com/article/2987967/why-your-nginx-server-is-responding-with-content-from-the-wrong-site.html
> However this explanation doesn't seem to fit my case as I have a location
> which nginx should match correctly. Is there any other reason why nginx
> would serve the wrong site?

It pretty much always is because what you think you have told nginx to
do is not what you have actually told nginx to do.

(The other occasions are usually when your browser is not talking to the
nginx that you think it is talking to.)

To a first approximation: when a request comes to nginx, it first chooses
which server{} to handle the request in, then chooses which location{}
within that server{} to handle the request in.

Can you show a configuration and a request that is handled in a different
location{} from what you want?

Thanks,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org