Nginx serving wrong site

James Read jamesread5737 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 16:34:37 UTC 2024

On Mon, 8 Jan 2024, 10:04 Francis Daly, <francis at daoine.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 08, 2024 at 09:49:23AM -0500, James Read wrote:
> > On Mon, 8 Jan 2024, 09:29 Francis Daly, <francis at daoine.org> wrote:
> > > On Mon, Jan 08, 2024 at 09:13:38AM -0500, James Read wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> > > So I'm going to guess that your "server_name" line is of the
> > > form "www.example.com"; and your browser is instead accessing
> > > http://example.com; and nginx is returning the content of the
> > > default_server for that ip:port instead of this server.
> >
> > My server_name is of the form "example.com www.example.com;" so I don't
> > think that is the problem. Could this be anything to do with dns
> > configuration?
>
> Do your nginx logs indicate that the request is being handled by this
> nginx instance at all?
>
> If not, maybe DNS is not causing your browser to talk to this server's
> IP address.
>
> The logs look fine. They are showing the requests.
>

> Do you have any "listen" directives that include specific IP addresses,
> instead of just ports? Does your example.com resolve to the address
> of the "listen" in this "server{}"; or to the address of the "listen"
> in whichever "server{}" is actually being used; or to a different address?

server {
        listen 80;
        listen [::]:80;

        root /var/www/moshiim.it;

        index index.php index.html index.htm index.nginx-debian.html;
        server_name example.com www.example.com;
        location / {

                try_files $uri $uri/ =404;
        }

       location ~ \.php$ {
                include snippets/fastcgi-php.conf;
                fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php/php7.4-fpm.sock;