question about nginx start & stop

Zhangfei Gao zhangfei.gao at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 07:58:52 UTC 2022

Hi,

I have questions about nginx start and stop
I am using
// start
sudo sbin/nginx
//stop
sudo sbin/nginx -s quit

1. openssl engine is init (ngx_ssl_init) twice, but openssl engine
destroy function is not called.
So start nginx and nginx -s quit, engine init twice but not called
engine destroy.
If we start and stop nginx many times, resource leakage will happen.

2. Currently the nginx master process do ngx_ssl_init then ngx_daemon
start daemon and master process exit.
Now linux kernel has a patch to release resources in mm_put at process exit.
As a result ngx_ssl_init in the master process can not be used in daemon.
So is this behavior (release resources in mm_put) not expected?

src/core/nginx.c
main:
ngx_ssl_init
    OPENSSL_init_ssl(OPENSSL_INIT_LOAD_CONFIG, NULL)
    init openssl_engine: bind_fn
ngx_daemon
    start daemon and main process exit

Thanks