[WIP/RFC v4 0/5] Support abstract Unix sockets

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Aug 24 14:58:29 UTC 2022

Hello!

On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 01:00:26AM +0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:

> I'll resend v4 in a moment, since it didn't arrive to the list.
>
> On 8/23/22 23:18, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Patch set ready for review.
> > Both 'listen' and 'proxy_pass' work fine, with the only caveat
> > that writing a NUL character in the nginx.conf file is not the
> > friendliest interface.  I will add a few more patches to make '@'
> > a synonym for NUL, as many other projects do.
> >
> > However, this patch set can be applied on its own if you prefer
> > to make them separate, since this one adds the feature in its
> > simplest way, and the upcoming patches are just making it more
> > user friendly.  Please advice on your preferred way of proceeding.

A while ago a working implementation of Linux abstract namespace
sockets was already posted in this mailing list, see here:

https://mailman.nginx.org/pipermail/nginx-devel/2016-October/008878.html

It received zero interest and no tests/reviews, hence there are
no further work on this.

If you think that Linux abstract namespace support is needed, you
may want to start with basic things, notably:

> Try to make it clear why the suggested change is needed, and
> provide a use case, if possible.

(Quote from http://nginx.org/en/docs/contributing_changes.html)

That is, please clarify how do you expect to use it, and why
existing options does not work for you.

http://mdounin.ru/