Setting up a webDAV server

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Mon Jan 3 11:53:07 UTC 2022

On Sun, Jan 02, 2022 at 08:51:40AM -0500, BonVonKnobloch wrote:

Hi there,

> I had one part of the pathname double and could not see it.
> Seemingly I have PUT & GET functionality - now for further testing and
> tightening permissions.

Good stuff -- it sounds like you have a thing that works well enough
for testing, at least :-)

> I confess to never being sure where a path relative to the nginx directory
> or a full path is required (reading the docs did not help me).

I'm not certain it always applies, but in general for a "file" or "path"
directive that relates to the filesystem, if the value starts with a /
it is a full filesystem path, otherwise it is relative to the nginx
default directory; there are things like "try_files" which describe the
exception. For a url, it will usually be "full" (starts with /) unless
you know why it should not.

If there are specific places where the documentation is unclear, or was
unclear when you read it for the first time, then I suspect that people
will be happy to adjust things -- but it is hard for someone who already
knows what is intended, to know how some text will be read by someone
unfamiliar with it. So any feedback that leads to an improvement for
the next reader, will be good.

Thanks,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org