How to make nginx fail if it can't write to cache dir.

unikron nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org
Thu Jan 27 11:07:43 UTC 2022

Hi,

Nginx version: nginx/1.20.2

Cache config:
proxy_cache_path /nginx/cache levels=1:2 keys_zone=bla:20m max_size=10g
inactive=20m use_temp_path=off;

I had a problem while using tmpfs mount for nginx cache dir, my automation
mounted it over and over again(so each time nginx created a new set of base
dirs [a-z]), but after a few mounts, it could no longer create new base
dirs(no more memory) and writes to the cache dir failed with:
[crit] 31334#31334: *128216 mkdir() "/nginx/cache/4" failed (13: Permission
denied) while reading upstream

But nginx still accepted connections and the client got a hangup during
transfer each time.
How can I fail nginx when this thing happens, so clients will not get to it
?

Thanks.

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,293477,293477#msg-293477